[ntp:questions] Finding out where ntpd gets its ntp.conf file

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Sat Sep 13 07:13:58 UTC 2008

>I did get a look at the ntpd script today.  Turns out the answer on
>where it gets the ntp.conf file is right there, near the top, in the
>line "ntpconf=/etc/ntp.conf", even though the ntp man page points us
>deeper in the /etc hierarchy.

>The sysadmin I was working with was real annoyed, as the misinformation
>in the man page had sent him into circles.  We will add pointer comments
>to all placebo ntp.conf files, to save future generations of sysadmins
>from this fate.

I still don't know which ntp.conf you are really using.

I'm looking at a Fedora 6 box.

If you look in /etc/init.d/ntpd, you will see that it mucks about
with ntpconf (the one above) to find the servers.  Those servers
get passed to ntpdate.  Mumble.  That's old crap.  There is now
a command line switch that does the right thing.  I don't see
where ntpconf gets passed to ntpd as a command line argument.

If the man page says ntpd uses some other config file, it
is probably right, or at it seems to me that it would be
more likely that the guy who changed the code also changed
the man page but didn't fixup the init script.