[ntp:questions] Finding out where ntpd gets its ntp.conf file

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Sat Sep 13 17:10:57 UTC 2008

hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net (Hal Murray) writes:

>>I did get a look at the ntpd script today.  Turns out the answer on
>>where it gets the ntp.conf file is right there, near the top, in the
>>line "ntpconf=/etc/ntp.conf", even though the ntp man page points us
>>deeper in the /etc hierarchy.

I really do not understand this. /etc/ntp.conf is the standard location. I
thought that was the one you said was NOT being used.

>>The sysadmin I was working with was real annoyed, as the misinformation
>>in the man page had sent him into circles.  We will add pointer comments
>>to all placebo ntp.conf files, to save future generations of sysadmins
>>from this fate.

>I still don't know which ntp.conf you are really using.

>I'm looking at a Fedora 6 box.

>If you look in /etc/init.d/ntpd, you will see that it mucks about
>with ntpconf (the one above) to find the servers.  Those servers
>get passed to ntpdate.  Mumble.  That's old crap.  There is now
>a command line switch that does the right thing.  I don't see
>where ntpconf gets passed to ntpd as a command line argument.

>If the man page says ntpd uses some other config file, it
>is probably right, or at it seems to me that it would be
>more likely that the guy who changed the code also changed
>the man page but didn't fixup the init script.

They still have not done what was suggested, namely find out exactly what
command is being run by the script-- with all its arguments.

It seems they have a habit of jumping off half cocked at any hint that
comes their way.