[ntp:questions] ntpd service doesn't connect to remote servers on Windows XP

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk
Wed Apr 1 08:04:46 UTC 2009

Folks,

I'm looking for suggestions here.  For the last day, I've been trying on
and off to help someone get the Meinberg installation of NTP working.  It
appears to install correctly, and the service starts, but ntpq -p shows
all remote servers in INIT with a reach of zero.  No connectivity, it
seems.  However, the chap can quite happily type from the command-line:
ntpq -p <remote> and get data from the remote server, so I take it that
UDP packets on port 123 are passing though his system OK, and therefore
that ntpd should connect.  No chance ntpq runs TCP?  He has checked his
firewall, and both ntpq.exe and ntpd.exe are allowed for incoming and
outgoing, all protocols, all addresses.  He tried running briefly with the
firewall disabled.  Still no connects seen by ntpq -p.

Although the NTP service starts OK, I'm wonder if it needs some special
right to connect to the network as a service - although I would have
thought that the Meinberg installer would have granted whatever privileges
were required.  I'm getting him to send the event log as a text file, but
I'm wondering what obvious things I might have missed, and what the next
fault-finding steps might be.

Thanks,
David