[ntp:questions] ntpd service doesn't connect to remote servers on Windows XP

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk
Wed Apr 1 15:01:22 UTC 2009

Heiko Gerstung wrote:
> David J Taylor schrieb:
[]
ce between nptq.exe sending and
>> receiving packets, and ntpd.exe working in its normal manner?
>
> No, not really. If ntpq works you can be sure that
> - network communication works, i.e. you have a valid and working
> network route
> - the server is actually up and running and ntpd is running
> - UDP port 123 is not blocked by a firewall

That's rather what I feared!

> Using ntpdate will completely "simulate" a normal ntpd query and since
> it uses the same or similiar sanity checks and selection algorithms,
>  you should be able to reproduce a problem with it.

OK, thanks.

> I assume that the user did not mess around with the config file that
> has been created by the installer. That should rule out problems
> caused by "restrict".
>
> Regards,
>   Heiko

Not as far as I know - this is just a normal end user double-clicking an
install, and expecting the resulting installation to work first time.  He
would not dream of adding "restrict" lines.  Every time I've tried the
Meinberg installation it has worked perfectly, so I am somewhat at a loss
to know what has failed here.

Thanks,
David