[ntp:questions] NTP - orphan mode with SAME stratum ("tos orphan 6") FAIL to sync.

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Tue Apr 7 01:33:27 UTC 2009

On 2009-04-06, David Mills <mills at udel.edu> wrote:

> You scratch a sore spot as I verified over the last couple of days. You
> can always increase the mindist, but eventually the orphan servers will
> drift away from each other.

Right. Because all of the servers are free-wheeling.

> The problem is the orphan server has to be selected before the
> intersection algorithm. I changed that in the development version and
> am testing it now. The result is that only the lowest-distance orphan
> server makes it to the intersection algoritihm and only it will be
> selected.

Is this a change from what is documented at
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/assoc.html#orphan ?

"While ordinary NTP clients use a selection metric based on delay and
dispersion, orphan children use a metric computed from the IP address of
each core server. Each orphan child chooses the orphan parent as the
root server with the smallest metric."

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>