[ntp:questions] NTP stops when client address changes?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid
Fri Aug 7 10:04:32 UTC 2009

phil wrote:
[]
> David,
> I may have spoken to fast; you might have to set the "network" side
> of the router to a fixed address. Leave the DHCP settings alone and
> it will still be able vend an ip to another computer or device on the
> network that has no fixed ip.

Yes, that's what I have.  I  actually needed to alter the start of dynamic
IP addresses to suit my own needs.  My wireless portables pick up a
dynamic address just as normal (and NTP works correctly).

> There are many guides on the net on walking one through the settings
> that are router model specific. Even most router manufactures have
> the ability to walk you through the settings as a customer service
> for free. Phil

.. and we've been using these for getting the folk to set the port
forwarding for the particular application.  Perhaps, in retrospect,
getting them to force a fixed IP address for their PCs would have been a
good idea as well.

Cheers,
David