[ntp:questions] NTP stops when client address changes?

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 02:19:36 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 1:45 AM, Danny Mayer<mayer at ntp.org> wrote:
> David Woolley wrote:
>>
>> There are known problems if the address of the actual PC interface changes.
>
> Nope, it works fine. I use it all the time.

I've seen ntpd log messages that indicate to me at least one known
problem when the machine's local address changes, though I don't know
of a bug report about it.  The broadcastclient implementation chooses
a local interface to use at startup, and if that interface goes away
(as it will, for this definition of "interface", if its IP address
changes), the broadcastclient functionality is abandoned instead of
migrating to another interface.  Perhaps you can take on fixing that.

Cheers,
Dave Hart