[ntp:questions] Radioclock connection via serial to usb adaptor on Linux or BSD?

David Lord snews at lordynet.org
Fri Aug 28 08:32:07 UTC 2009

Hi

I've recently been trying various radioclocks, gps, DCF77 and now MSF.
I have problems with reception being in a valley with horizon over
most of 360deg being 50m or so above the house. Cloudbase is often
below height of surrounding hills.

On good days Garmin GPS-16-LVC has given around 2us (NMEA + PPS),
Conrad module DCF77 reception over about 1000km is lost most
evenings and early mornings but otherwise about 850us (Radioclkd2
+ SHM), and Conrad module with 60kHz and frame aerial for MSF
has done 65hr at reach of 377 for 175us (Radioclkd2 + SHM). Those
offsets are mid values rather than averages.

I'd now like to try via a serial to usb for use with notebook. My
Vodafone mobile broadband connection regularly has differential
latency of maybe +/- 2 seconds and even chrony can't make sense
of this.

 From what I've read there are many serial to usb devices that
require their own drivers to provide full rs232 control lines.
PPS and radioclkd2 all require at least usable DCD and for
radioclkd2 I need one or both CTS and DSR as well.

Can anyone here advise regarding serial to usb adapters on
Linux/BSD?

David