[ntp:questions] help with setting up NTP on windows with a USB GPS

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Tue Dec 1 00:34:51 UTC 2009

unruh wrote:
> On 2009-11-30, RedGrittyBrick <RedGrittyBrick at spamweary.invalid> wrote:
>> David J Taylor wrote:
>>> "jack" <> wrote in message
>>> news:484bcf3e-dde5-4978-966d-5637918c913f at l35g2000vba.googlegroups.com...

>>> Jack, the convertor I had was Sitecom DK01 USB dock from 2002.  It's no
>>> longer available new.
>> Internal serial cards seem like an inexpensive way to add a serial port
>> for a GPS connection - do people use them for NTP?
>
> That is fine if your system is a desktop which can take internal cards
>  But laptops for example do not.

Some laptops can take plug-in cards that offer Ethernet or RS-232C:
U.S. Robotics/Dell Model XJ4338 is a 33.6 baud modem.
Dell Ethernet Card 10BASE-T/100Base-2
D-Link DFE-670TXD 10/100 Base-T

I've not used them myself; my laptop came equipped with Ethernet and
RS232-C.  If I ever buy another laptop, I will be sure that it has both
Ethernet and RS232-C interfaces.