[ntp:questions] A faster settling NTP

unruh unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca
Thu Dec 24 22:22:33 UTC 2009

On 2009-12-24, David J Taylor <david-taylor at blueyonder.delete-this-bit.and-this-part.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> "unruh" <unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote in message
> news:slrnhj7b8s.q83.unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca...
> []
>> Sorry my referents confused you. It is the code for chrony on ntp that
>> is not available (does not exist). And it is not "replacing one small
>> part".
>
> Why not take a different approach, then?  Start with chrony to make the
> system rapidly stable, and then turn control over to NTP.  Is something
> like that possible?

Why not just stick with chrony. But I thought we were discussing Windows
systems, on which chrony does not run. And if someone has rewritten
chrony to run on windows, there is no point in handing over to ntp. As I
said chrony is about 2 times better ( lower standard deviation) than
ntp. Why would you want to hand over control to a worse program?