[ntp:questions] ntpdate works, but ntpd doesn't (reach = 0)

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Tue Feb 10 06:55:49 UTC 2009

>>> In article <uck566-23p.ln1 at gateway.py.meinberg.de>, Martin Burnicki <martin.burnicki at meinberg.de> writes:

Harlan> Because ntpd also gets restarted, and there is a strong belief that
Harlan> -g is bad for a restart and restarts will happen more often than
Harlan> boots.

Martin> Huh? I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean here.

The general case is that -g should only be used at startup, when time can be
stepped.

If ntpd is restarted, it is Bad for the time to be stepped backwards for
many people.  Since this could happen with -g, when restarting ntpd for this
common case, one should not use -g.

>From what I can see, it might be an improvement if ntpd had a mode that said
"Stepping forward is OK, but do not step backwards."

What I really think is needed is an in-depth study of the various cases,
perhaps with some new timekeeping functions that better implement what is
needed.

Martin> The build scripts needed to be modified only once, but the lng term
Martin> maintenance would clearly benefit if those libs are only in a single
Martin> unit.

Let's get there.

And I suspect Max will have more time to work on this soon.

--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>
http://ntpforum.isc.org  - be a member!