[ntp:questions] ntpdate works, but ntpd doesn't (reach = 0)

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Wed Feb 11 08:22:54 UTC 2009

Nero Imhard wrote:
> Uwe Klein wrote:
>
>> Not really distribution specific. Look into the ip_up/down stuff on
>> any linux system.
>
> Well, linux-specific then ;-)
>
> Some smartass thing called "network manager" has bitten me in this
> respect even on a system with totally static interfaces. It's enabled by
> default (on Ubuntu) and screws things up for ntpd right at system boot.
>
>> Its a dynamic IP problem and its a ntpd problem due to no signaling
>> path for interface changes.
>
> It's a matter of opinion whether it is reasonable to want to run
> full-blown ntpd on systems that are so unstable (interface-wise) taht
> they need mechanisms to handle interface changes automatically. And you
> can guess mine...

Why shouldn't ntpd be run e.g. on a laptop?

If it does run then it synchronizes the system time when network connection
is available, and can still compensate the native clock drift if the laptop
is offline.

Of course synchronization will be better if ntpd reaches an upstream server
continuously, but still this is better than no synchronization at all ...

And surely this results in the question which has been discussed here
several times: why does it takes so long for ntpd to adjust an initial tiny
offset of a few milliseconds?

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki