[ntp:questions] Garmin 18 LVC: whether to fudge

Uwe Klein uwe_klein_habertwedt at t-online.de
Sun Feb 15 11:45:48 UTC 2009

Hans Jørgen Jakobsen wrote:

> 20.6 ms of the roundtrip time are spend on the DSL line.
> Some interleaving has been configured. It's better to have delay than dropped
> packets.
> The VDSL line runs at a distance from the CO where ADSL have better performance,
> at least for download.
> /hjj

I have various interfaces running for internet access.
I have done a tcpdump of 64byte icmp packets on the dsl interface
and an i(sdn)ppp interface to another provider taking timestamps
for the outgoing and incoming packets

send ping icmp packets
1)
dsl0 -> <dsl-upstream> - (provider t-online) ->
          <internet> -> (provider versatel) -> <isdn/ppp-downstream> -> ippp
transfer time ( seconds ):
0.035777, 0.035229, 0.035521

2:
ippp -> <isdn/ppp-upstream> - (provider versatel) ->
          <internet> -> (provider t-online) -> <dsl-downstream> -> ippp

transfer time ( seconds ):
0.050536, 0.050915, 0.050502

uwe