[ntp:questions] tardisnt unexpected WAN access

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 13:48:23 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 9:13 PM, Mike -- Email Ignored
<m_d_berger_1900 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks for this information; I just e-mailed them.  The reason I use
> Tardis is that I found that the WinXP ntp capability ran too
> infrequently, and the time drifted too much.  I saw no way to
> change alter the WinXP time capability, and Tardis is a quick and
> easy solution.

If you're using Windows Time Service, you probably want to specify
",0x8" after your NTP server name or IP address. By default, it uses a
fixed poll interval of one hour, and contacts the server
time.windows.com. The ",0x8" directs w32time to make a standard
client-mode association, and adjust the polling frequency as needed. I
generally observe offsets of 16 ms or less with that configuration
(16ms is essentially the limit of w32time's precision). See
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773263.aspx for more
information if you choose to go that route.

As Danny said, the reference implementation of ntp will be more
precise, and he linked to Meinberg's excellent simple Windows
installer for ntpd in a previous message.

--
RPM