[ntp:questions] ntpd on embedded risc

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Sun Feb 22 04:18:34 UTC 2009

cnm3332 at gmail.com writes:

>On Feb 20, 10:27=A0pm, Unruh <unruh-s... at physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
>> David Woolley <da... at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid> writes:
>ent
>> >chrony is excluded because it doesn't support locally attached reference
>> >clocks.
>>
>> Agreed. I was so concentrated on the rate question I negected the fact th=
>at
>> he is running a PPS clock.
>> So at present he is stuck. Make sure you have no /etc/ntp/drift file. Use
>> -g, and use the iburst, etc to try to reduce the startup transientx.
>>

>So, I will need to let NTP run for long time, to build correct drift
>file, which might
>help with accuracy and sync time?   So should this be my ntp conf file

It might. If linux configures itself properly. Recent kernels have trouble
with the tsc time interpolation, and get the wrong rate. This causes ntp to
take many hours on each bootup. That may not be a problem for you depending
on your system. Of course your system may have no interpolation at all in
which case you will have very bad time keeping.