[ntp:questions] NTP Peering Queries

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Tue Feb 24 22:33:04 UTC 2009

kiran shirol wrote:
> NTP experts,
>
> I have a few queries regarding NTP.

>         1. Valid NTP server
>         2. Device1 where i configure a NTP server with "ntp server" command.
>         3. Another Device2 where I configure Device1's IP address in "ntp
> peer" config.
>         Question : Will Device2 be synced with Device1's clock ? How does
> the peer protocol work ?

Yes.  I don't think there is any realistic difference from server.

>         1. Valid NTP server
>         2. Device1 where I configure a NTP server with "ntp server" command.
>         3. In Device2 I configure Device1's IP in "ntp peer" command.
>         4. In Device1 I configure Device2's IP in "ntp peer" command.
>        Question: How does the peering protocol work here. Does Device1 sync
> the clock of Device2 ?

Yes.  Again there is a trivial loop and no independent source for device 2.

>        1. Device1 where I configure Device2's IP in "ntp peer"
> configuration.
>        2. Device2 where I configure Device1's IP in "ntp peer"
> configuration.
>        3. No "ntp server" configuration and Device1 and Device2 both are in
> the same stratum.
>       Question : How does the peer protocol work here ? And Which clock
> would be used to sync the time ?

Both machines will free run independently.

You need to use orphan mode, and a recent (possibly development version)
ntpd to gain anything useful in this configuration.