[ntp:questions] improving ntpd performance on Windows

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 16:23:52 UTC 2009

On Feb 27, 3:28 pm, Martin Burnicki <martin.burni... at meinberg.de>
wrote:
> I've just installed your binary on one W2k and one Vista32 machine. I'll let
> it run over the weekend and report.

Great, thanks Martin.

> I've also got an old machine with 10 ms clock interval. However, I have
> installed NT4 on that one, and your binaries refuse to start under NT4.
>
> I've tried to recompile your sources in my VC6 environment, but there are
> lots of build errors. I don't have the time to fix these now, so I'll have
> to give up on this for now.

Yes, apparently there's something about VC++ 2008 binaries that
doesn't get along with pre-W2K NT.  I don't know if there's something
I could do to fix that (other than switch to an earlier compiler), if
so, I'd like to try.  Meanwhile, I'm not surprised at the build errors
on VC6 since I haven't had any testing of my changes against that
compiler prior to your attempt.  It shouldn't be too hard to work
through the issues with your help or Danny Mayer's, given the always
elusive time.  Thanks for trying.

Cheers,
Dave Hart