[ntp:questions] ntpdate refusing ntp.nmi.nl

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk
Fri Jan 9 16:36:49 UTC 2009

Folkert van Heusden wrote:
[]
> Well, they (NMi) are the Dutch national organisation for standards.
> This time ought to be no more than micro (nano?) seconds from UTC.
> What the guy from NMi tells me is that they synced the time a couple
> of days ago and then hooked it up to their 4 cesium clocks. So in
> theory there shouldn't be any difference with UTC.
>
> I'm bothering you people for this as I would like to get them to fix
> it. But for that I need to be able to give a explanation.
>

> Folkert van Heusden

Thanks, Folkert.  I have no experience with how they would connect to
caesium clocks, so I can't comment, but I would still expect the reference
time to be valid.

>From the UK, I can't even ping  ntp.nmi.nl, let alone run ntpq against it.
DNS gives 134.221.205.12.  If it's a prime Dutch server, perhaps that
isn't surprising.

Dave Mills can most likely provide a definitive answer.

Cheers,
David