[ntp:questions] New version of the Meinberg NTP Installer for Windows

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Wed Jan 14 14:42:03 UTC 2009

Danny Mayer wrote:
> Chris wrote:
>> On Jan 12, 3:22 am, Martin Burnicki <martin.burni... at meinberg.de>
>> wrote:
>>> Chris,

>>> Just for completeness, we at Meinberg have just compiled the sources
>>> from ntp.org and put them into a GUI installer to simplify installation
>>> for Windows users.
>>>
>>> The public source code compiles fine with MS VC6. For newer versions of
>>> VS/VC there may be some changes required (haven't tried for a long
>>> time).
>>>

> I build and develop binaries using VS 2005 so there are no issues there.
> I haven't used VS6 in a long time. The VS 2005 C++ express edition is
> available free for download from Microsoft.

I have VC6, VS 2003 and VS 2005 available anyway. I prefer to work with VC6
however,  because if I use VC6 I know my application run on NT, W2k, and up
to Vista. Of course this is only for applications which don't have special
requirements like .NET etc., but none of my applications have such
requirements so far.

If I write a program e.g. with VS 2005 the danger is that I use functions
which are specified in the compiler's headers and import libraries but may
not be available in the DLLs shipped with W2k. In this case I only get a
runtime error if I try to run the program under W2k.

This is similar to this discussion of importing DLL functions ar runtime, if
possible.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki