[ntp:questions] NTP sever on an isolated Network

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Wed Jan 14 20:00:53 UTC 2009

Unruh wrote:
> Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org> writes:
>> You're assuming that all computers / SBCs / Embedded Systems have a USB
>> port.
>
> Agreed, it you do not have a usb port, you cannot get power from it.
> Then you have to get power from elsewhere. Getting it from the serial port
> is almost certainly not going to work (but yes, if you are extremely lucky
> you might be able to ) The chances of that embedded system having usb port are probably
> higher than the chances that such an embedded system has a PCI or ISA slot
> to stick in some external brand of serial port which can supply power.
> The easiest way of getting the 8-30V that the Garmin 18PC needs is
> probably from a laptop powersupply brick. The 4.5-5.5 volts that the 18LVC needs
> might be a cell phone charger or the usb port.

I ran my original self-assembled Motorola Oncore (8 channels, using the
TAPR.org interface board) for years with the naked electronics stuffed
into a plastic bag taped to the side of the old Pentium-90 I used to run
FreeBSD, and with the power coming from a cable I threaded into the
cabinet and piggybacked the naked leads into one of the disk drive power
connectors. :-)

A 12/5 V disk/floppy/CD power cable is quite common even in embedded gear.

Terje
--
- <Terje.Mathisen at hda.hydro.com>