[ntp:questions] refid 'STC ' ? What does "STC" signify?

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Thu Jan 22 21:42:17 UTC 2009

On 2009-01-22, phreon at gmail.com <phreon at gmail.com> wrote:

>> It only takes a few seconds to grep an NTP source tree for 'STC' (or
>> any other string. Hardly a difficult task.
>
> Grepping is easy. Which source tree shall I download and search?

To the best of my knowledge no driver has ever been removed from the
Reference Implementation Distribution.

> How do I know the server in question isn't running a god awful,
> ancient SCO fork? Or isn't an appliance?

ntpq -crv should provide some basic information about the ntpd in
question. Would you care to post that time server's hostname?

> Let us say that I spent more time than I should have on Dr. Mill's
> site and NTP.org in addition to playing with Google and this newsgroup
> before posting a question of such minor consequence.

You would not be the first person to do so.

> Can we put to rest the idea that every "newbie" who posts a question
> in this group is a feckless boob who in incapable of researching even
> the simplest nugget of information? Sometimes one senses it's worth
> going straight to the experts.

You asked for a list of known Reference IDs. You got the list of what's
in the documentation. No one else has stepped forward to add any.

> Honestly, this thread should have died after Martin's first post, but
> I just can't resist when RTFM is invoked.

Of course ... <g>

> I wonder how long before we bring Hitler into the fray?

You just did.

> NTP(d) is a fantastic tool and I sincerely appreciate all the hard
> work that goes into it, but it has to be the only "defacto standard"
> tool I use, commercial or GPL, where it's suggested one should search
> software code in an attempt to decipher simple diagnostic output.

This has been discussed in the past. One more than one occasion.

> Of course this is a moot point since even if there was a list of all
> the known refids and their meanings, it would be meaningless since one
> can fudge the field to be any four letter word (I can think of a few).

Chances are that this particular Reference ID was set locally.

> I think the best answer I've seen yet is in effect, "I don't know".

The Reference ID in question is, AFAIKT, not a part of any driver in The
NTP Reference Implementation.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>