[ntp:questions] independant time server?

David E. Ross nobody at nowhere.not
Mon Jan 26 15:34:47 UTC 2009

On 1/26/2009 7:15 AM, martin.l.lane at gmail.com wrote:
> I have a network isolated the internet but I need a time server to run
> on this private network.  Are there any standalone time server
> packages out there?  Is there a way to force ntpd to sync with my
> computer clock and then run sending out the time data?  Ntpd will run
> after indicating it can't find a valid source to sync with but then it
> only sends out null data in its response messages for time.  Any
> suggestions?
>
> Thank you for any help.

An NTP server requires a clock.  The clocks embedded within computers
are generally not reliable, so you should have an external clock.

You can get an NTP server that operates from the GPS system, receiving
radio signals without even sending.  Also, if your network is isolated
because of national security (U.S.), I believe the Pentagon operates NTP
servers on a secure network to which military contractors can connect.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

Don't ask "Why is there road rage?"  Instead, ask
"Why NOT Road Rage?" or "Why Is There No Such
Thing as Fast Enough?"
<http://www.rossde.com/roadrage.html>