[ntp:questions] ntpd syncs to NMEA message but not PPS

Chris Stankevitz cstankevitz at toyon.com
Mon Jan 26 21:48:15 UTC 2009

Phil.Newlon at wendysarbys.com wrote:
> I built a nice little 18x LVC setup this weekend, based on the circuit at
> time.qnan,org.  I successfully get data from the GPS (9600 baud) and a PPS
> signal.  I tried using the gpsd driver and am having no luck with it
> whatsoever.  So, I have to ask at this point, what exactly did you mean
> "just use the shmpps set of routines to set up pps using the shm refclock"?
> I am running Fedora 8 Linux, for what that might be worth....

Phil,

I tried the same setup on the same weekend.  First I was getting "pulse
too short" messages.   After about 5 hours on google, on someone's
advice, I commented out the complaint and check from the gpsd source.
Then I got "pulse sync lost" or some such message.  After another 3
hours on google, I gave up and tried LinuxPPS/ntpd without gpsd.  You
see my results from the top of this thread (failure).  Then I gave up
and installed FreeBSD with the PULSE_PPS kernel option and it worked out
of the box!

Chris