[ntp:questions] Keeping NTP Honest

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid
Wed Jul 15 04:54:17 UTC 2009

Unruh wrote:
[]
> There is not terribly much that can at present be done to improve ntp
> so
> it would be hard to find ways of spending the money. While with
> chrony,
> you would have a totally new time keeping program for Windows at the
> end
> of the day, a program with a very different philosophy and technique
> for
> controlling the clock.

Thanks, Bill, but I don't want a totally new program, if I can avoid it.
I have various monitoring and management tools written and in place based
around NTP, and I expect all those would have to change as well.  Is it
not possible for the chrony algorithms to be made available for NTP as a
user-configurable option, leaving the majority of the architecture
unchanged?

Cheers,
David