[ntp:questions] ntp.conf file setup in netbsd

Daniel Hagerty hag at linnaean.org
Mon Jul 13 15:13:13 UTC 2009

    For the list: netbsd 5.0's ntpd looks to be 4.2.4p6 (gleaned from source).

Runa Dahal <anur55 at gmail.com> writes:

> I am using NetBSD 5.0 operating system in a low powered embedded computer
> used solely for the purpose of NTP. I have enabled options PPS_SYNC option
> in the kernel and rebuilt it. My ntp.conf file has the following set up:
[...]

    I'm using approximately the following on netbsd-4.0 with a NMEA
GPS emitting GPGGA sentences:

server 127.127.20.1 mode 2 prefer
fudge 127.127.20.1 flag3 1

server 127.127.22.1
fudge 127.127.22.1 flag3 1 refid GPS

    NetBSD 4.0's ntpd is too old to support GPZDA.  A quick reading of
the source for netbsd 5.0's ntpd suggests no improvement in this department.

    Even if your ntpd supports it, you'll need to replace the "mode 2"
I use above with a "mode 8".

> I have a couple questions regarding NMEA PPS. If I am using kernel PPS
> discipline, then do I not need to specify ntpd atom pps(22) driver? I know I
> need to have flag3 1 flag. Can I use ntpd PPS driver instead of kernel PPS
> even with NetBSD being compiled PPS_SYNC, so, that I could easily switch
> being either for testing. Do I always need to specify flag1 1 since I need
> PPS ?

    You can have a kernel with PPS_SYNC where ntpd doesn't use it.
Just drop the "flag3 1" options from the nmea and pps drivers.
I spent some time experimenting myself to come up with what I'm
currently using, and wasn't about to reboot to do it :)