[ntp:questions] Local (own site) NTP servers.

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.org
Sat Jul 25 18:02:24 UTC 2009

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> Maarten Wiltink wrote:
>> "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote in message
>> news:VdadnWa89vI0XPXXnZ2dnUVZ_rednZ2d at giganews.com...
>> [...]
>>> The "Meinberg NTP software" is standard NTPD with a "Windows installer"!
>>> If you are really good with Windows you might be able to install an X86
>>> version of NTPD on a Windows system without Meinberg. ...
>> "Really good" is vastly overstated. Put the binaries somewhere and
>> install ntpd.exe as a service. There's even a (custom) instsrv.exe that
>> comes with it, although I think I used the generic one from the Resource
>> Kit. Then figure out where ntp.conf goes by default[0] and it works.
>>
>> I wouldn't trust my parents to get it working, but my sister-in-law
>> should be able to do it.
>>
>> Groetjes,
>> Maarten Wiltink
>>
>> [0] Or pass a parameter to the executable.
>>

> Given that Windows is pre-installed or will be installed as soon as you
> insert a CD/DVD in the drive and that it ships with essentially NO
> documentation, I wouldn't count on it.
>
> I would have to do a good bit of studying to find out HOW to "install
> ntpd.exe as a service".  I've been using Windows since V3.1, or maybe
> 2.x, it's been a while!

I have an installer for ntpd that I haven't yet released which is just a
GUI interface and then does the rest. Unlike the Meinberg install it's
not a wizard and does not create an ntp.conf file. It's much better than
the instsrv and is designed as a minimalst installer. I do intend to
release it at some point for people who want something better than
instsrv but don't want to use the Meinberg installer. It's written in
C++ and does much of the work but does not disable w32time.

Danny

> I run ntpd on a Solaris box that serves time to the rest of computers in
> the house.  The windows boxes usually manage to get the date, hours and
> minutes correct.

believed to be clean.