[ntp:questions] NTP Performance on WINNT

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Mon Jul 27 06:55:05 UTC 2009

David Woolley <david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid> writes:

>Unruh wrote:

>> You can absolutely count on ntpq to tell you what ntp thinks the offset
>> is based on its querying of the servers or refclocks. What makes you
>> "not so sure".

>I don't think he wants the NTP "offset" metric; I think he wants the
>difference between software clock time and true UTC.

In that case he had better take his machine drive to the USNO, and
compare his clocks. ntpq will tell you what the difference is between
your clock and the its reference sources. If one of those reference
sources delivers UTC, then it will tell him what the difference is
between his computer and UTC. The problem is NOT ntp. The problem is
what his sources for comparison are.