[ntp:questions] NTP Performance on WINNT

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Mon Jul 27 20:55:04 UTC 2009

Unruh wrote:

> In other words, there is a random noise component to the "software clock
> time" and to the measurement of UTC via the net, or whatever, and that

In the estimate of the time on the servers and peers.  There will also
be an error term from reading the local clock, but it ought to be less,
if only because the time from servers will start with that error term,
for their clocks.

> ntp, by averaging over a number of measurements, can reduce that random
> uncertainty. This assumes that the noise sources are random gaussian
> noise. In general many are not.  Thus this is subverted by ntp's slow reaction time ( so

Which is why I qualified my statement by saying that it only applied in
the enviroment Dave Mills expects ntpd to operate in.