[ntp:questions] traconex 1030 no longer outputing timestamps

David Mills mills at udel.edu
Tue Jul 28 20:27:35 UTC 2009

Phillip,

Traconex bought Precision Standard Time (PST) circa 1989.  So far as I
know, Traconex has not changed the design significantly since then. I
was a consultant to PST 1986-1988 and was given two Model 1020s for
test. When PST didn't pay my consulting fee, I kept the demos, which are
still in operation here. Over the years the only repairs have been a
faulty audio pot, a blown MX232 chip and a couple of tired electrolytic
caps for the MX232. If you see RS232 levels on the TX data pin, the
MX232 is working. The control sequences are listed  in the
refclock_pst.c driver in the NTP software distribution. Be sure the
front panel shows good time before expecting sanity in the timecode.

By the way, my recommendation for PST was to scrap the comb filter and
decoder and replace with an audio codec and maximum-likelihood linear
receive, which they believed prepostrously complicated and impractical
to implement. Thus challenged, that adventure became the refclock_wwv.c
audio driver.

Dave, w3hcf