[ntp:questions] Stratum 1 servers in pools?!?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid
Tue Jun 16 05:49:50 UTC 2009

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
[]
> For that matter, you could set up your own stratum one server!  All it
> takes is a GPS Timing Receiver and a PC running Solaris or Linux and
> NTPD.  Net investment is $100-$300 for the timing receiver, cable,
> connectors and a PC that might otherwise be acting as a door stop or a
> paper weight.  Yes, that three year old PC that just isn't good enough
> for your desktop any longer will make a fine Stratum 1 NTP server!

I would recommend FreeBSD if you want the best timekeeping performance.
You can now also run a Windows PC as stratum-1 server if performance
within a millisecond is adequate.  I have some notes here:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/FreeBSD-GPS-PPS.htm
  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/feenix_ntp_2.html
  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/NTP-on-Windows-serial-port.html

Cheers,