[ntp:questions] Meinberg NTP Software--Time Accuracy

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.org
Wed Jun 24 02:49:56 UTC 2009

W. eWatson wrote:
> I would guess that possible server locations can be found in a list like
> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/262680>, which shows NIST servers, and
> Level One Servers.

It also shows level 2 stratum and incorrectly states that there are only
2 levels. It's worrying that they are publishing this in a KB article
because even those servers change from time to time and they certainly
should never be including the IP addresses. I'm not sure where they got
the list but if they got it from us then they should have just posted a
pointer to it since the stratum operators can change their information.
Furthermore almost all stratum 1 and 2 servers that we list have
restrictions on usage which are covered by the rules of engagement.
Microsoft did not publish the limitations.

Danny

believed to be clean.