[ntp:questions] NTP sync problem. "no server reachable"

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.org
Mon Mar 9 04:56:37 UTC 2009

kiran shirol wrote:
> Hi NTP experts,
>
> I am facing a issue in getting the NTP to sync with the server configured.

> I have a box which has 2 interfaces. One interface for the connectivity with
> the local-lan. The other
> interface is connected directly to a linux box.
>
> IP address details :
> NTP server in the network -- 171.69.21.23
> NTP server directly connected -- 10.1.1.1
>
> When I configure 10.1.1.1 as my NTP server, within a few seconds I am able
> to see the sync.
> When I configure the additional server 171.69.21.23, it goes out of sync.
> But I am able to see
> the packet exchange happening.
>
> Now if i remove 10.1.1.1 from the list, I get 171.69.21.23 into sync &
> vice-versa.
>
> When I have configured both the servers, I see "no server reachable" message
> in the debugs.
>
> Can someone please tell me what is going on here ?
>
> My system is a regular Linux machine. I am running a older NTP version
> 4.2.0a.
>
> Regards,
> Kiran S Shirol

You are going to need the query-on configuration option that I am
developing. The problem is that it is sending out the query via the
wrong interface. The query-on option will control which one you want it
to use. It's not yet available and you will need to upgrade when it is.

Danny

believed to be clean.