[ntp:questions] http://www.ntp.org/ => a blank page?

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Tue Mar 10 10:57:31 UTC 2009

David J Taylor wrote:
> Martin Burnicki wrote:
>> However, if several local subnets needed to resolve "microsoft.com"
>> then each one would have to ask the root servers the first time.
>
> Wouldn't you have one or two central DNS servers for both subnets?

Sorry, I've been not specific enough here.

I meant e.g. several companies who have their own local subnets and local
DNS servers.

If they don't use their ISP's servers then the local DNS server in every
company would contact the root DNS servers directly.

If they used their ISP's DNS servers then all customers of the same ISP
simply get the cached results for popular domains without having to contact
the root servers.

Of cause all of this discussion is based on assumptions, how much traffic
and load on the root servers would differ if people used them rather then
their ISP's servers.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki