[ntp:questions] best gps receiver for time synchronization

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk
Tue Mar 10 16:07:25 UTC 2009

jack wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> First of all, I thank you for all your response.
>
> I understand the best solution would be using an IRIG board and that's
> what we had been using. We are now trying to make our product more
> compact by using a small single board PC with no RS 232 or PCI slot
> (no slot at all). Currently I am using GPS antenna with a USB
> connection.
>
> I also understand that if I can get a small PC with one genuine RS232,
> I can use Dave Hart's solution as tested by David. I will try to my
> best to steer the project towards this direction.
>
> Right now, I am trying to find the best GPS antenna that outputs at a
> consistent pace (better if the output can be configured so I only
> receive time stamps). Any recommendations wrt that?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Jack

Jack,

GPS18 LVC
  https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=223

GPS18x LVC
  https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=158&pID=27594

The newer "x" version appears to be a lot more sensitive, at the expense
of somewhat higher current consumption.  You can tell the LVC version what
sentences to send.  Better check the technical spec to see what the USB
one can be told to do:
  http://www.garmin.com/manuals/GPS18x_TechnicalSpecifications.pdf

As others have said, the single-board PC with FreeBSD would probably be
the best solution.  I would go for that, except I happen to have a Windows
PC which will do well enough for my purposes (say: within a millisecond).

I've even heard that you could perhaps use a router as a compact Linux PC,
and use the serial port which is either available on the box, or as a
header on the PCB.

Cheers,
David