[ntp:questions] What exactly does "Maximum Distance Exceded" mean?

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.org
Sun Mar 15 17:21:11 UTC 2009

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
> In article <49BC631C.1060606 at ntp.org>, mayer at ntp.org (Danny Mayer)
> wrote:
>
>> Ronan Flood wrote:

>>> It might get logged to /var/adm/messages or somewhere when xntpd starts,
>>> but try
>>>
>>>  ntpq -c "rv 0 daemon_version"
>>>
>> However we are not supporting ntp version 3, at least not without
>> funding. Is there some reason why you are not running the latest version
>> of ntpd?
>
> It's what came with that old version of Solaris, the most modern Solaris
> that will run on the old Sun boxes in question.
>
> Is NTP v4 proven to run on Solaris 9 (SunOS 5.9 Generic May 2002)?
>
> The suspicion is that we have not set something up correctly, not that
> NTP v3 has failed, or that NTP v4 would fare better or worse.  Don't
> understand the comment about funding.

Let me try and clarify my remark. NTP v3 was last released about 10
years ago. Since then all work and experience has been done on V4 at
least in these forums. Sun has continued to ship V3 even though it's
rather obsolete and old. One person within Sun is trying to change that
but in the meantime users like you are left trying to deal with issues
with that version. Very few of us in the forum have experience with V3
and can accurately answer questions about it. All of us have knowledge
of V4 and what's true of V4 may very well be false for V3. Since
everyone is a volunteer in this forum, unless they have a lot of spare
time on their hands noone is going to look at the V3 sources and provide
you with correct reponses for that version. Sun has support people who's
job it is to answer such questions, but you of course pay for Sun support.

If we had funding to do it, we would able to provide answers that you
could rely on. Otherwise we are just guessing that things didn't change
between V3 and V4 and there were fundamental changes between the two
major versions.

That was the reason for my remark.

Danny

> Joe Gwinn