[ntp:questions] What exactly does "Maximum Distance Exceded" mean?

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Sun Mar 15 19:41:10 UTC 2009

>>> In article <joegwinn-795FE1.14394915032009 at news.giganews.com>, Joseph Gwinn <joegwinn at comcast.net> writes:

Joseph> In article <49BD3A1E.2020207 at ntp.org>, mayer at ntp.org (Danny Mayer)
Joseph> wrote:

Danny> NTP v4 builds on most versions of Solaris. If for some reason it does
Danny> not build, Harlan can help with that since he's the build master. We
Danny> have Solaris boxes in the build farm.

I have access to a number of older versions of solaris for build testing.  I
have no idea now many people are running on these older OSes, but if there
was a problem I believe I would have heard about it.

Joseph> What's the story for IBM's AIX?

I have access to some AIX boxes for build testing.  I generally do not have
access to these boxes for runtime testing.

One of the goals of the NTP Forum is to produce a diverse operational ntp
build and test farm.  This goal will be realized if a sufficient number of
organizations join the NTP Forum.

>> > Version 3 is AT LEAST six years old.  V4.something is current.  Vendors
>> > are still shipping V3 because the RFC for V4 has not yet been formally
>> > adopted.  Or, if it has been adopted, the adoption is extremely recent.

NTPv3 was an RFC, but never a Standard.

NTPv4 is, I believe, close to becoming a Standard.

Joseph> I have read at least one draft.  The fact that it isn't yet a RFC is
Joseph> not a problem.

Good.

>> > If you have a C compiler, you can download the source and build it >
>> yourself.  If you don't have a C compiler you can download GCC for free.
>>
>> We use gcc for our Solaris builds.

Joseph> Also good to know, so I'll know better than to use the Sun compiler
Joseph> (not that it's bad, but that it isn't what's been worked through
Joseph> with NTP).

I have platforms where I only use native compilers and not gcc.

Again, these are build platforms, not operational test platforms.

And again, if there was a problem I believe I would have heard about it.
--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>
http://ntpforum.isc.org  - be a member!