[ntp:questions] What exactly does "Maximum Distance Exceded" mean?

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Sun Mar 15 20:06:10 UTC 2009

Unruh wrote:
> Joseph Gwinn <joegwinn at comcast.net> writes:

>>> Simple enough.  The people who maintain NTPD have to earn a living
>>> somehow.  The more unpaid time they volunteer the more difficult it
>>> becomes to pay the bills!
>
>> Open Source is doomed?  Bill's prayers are answered at last.
>
> Yup, if by doomed you mean that open source stops supporting old versions
> long after new versions are released. It is doomed. Oh wait, I just tried
> to get support from Microsoft for my Windows 3 installation and they
> refused. Microsoft is doomed.
>

>>> Version 3 is AT LEAST six years old.
>
>> So is the OS version being used: 2009-2002= 7 years.  So, they're
>> siblings.
>
> And how much support do you get from Sun for the operating system?

None at all.  I don't pay for it!  If I were the system administrator
for a commercial system supporting a business, I would be paying Sun for
some level of support.  As a retired System Administrator and a
hobbyist, I can't afford it.  Don't really need it either.  My systems work.

Ditto for my VMS systems except c/Sun/HP/

<snip>