[ntp:questions] What exactly does "Maximum Distance Exceded" mean?

Joseph Gwinn joegwinn at comcast.net
Tue Mar 17 02:15:34 UTC 2009

In article <ywn9tz5tflz6.fsf at ntp1.isc.org>,
 Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org> wrote:

> >>  I think you are talking about one of my pet peeves:
> >>
> >> http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Dev/NtpVariablesAndNtpq
>
> Joseph> I don't think that I have inconsistent versions of ntpd and ntpq,
> Joseph> because both came off the same CD from Sun Microsystems.
>
> It's still the same beast.  The bottom line is we currently have opaque data
> being presented to the user, and that is either being offered directly to
> the user (in your case) or is being potentially mis-converted by ntpq.

I have a lot of trouble believing that Sun put inconsistent versions on
their Solaris install CDs.

Nor am I using NTPQ for decoding.  I decode these codes myself,
following Appendix B of RFC-1305.  It turns out that NTPv4 uses the same
definitions.  See
<http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/monopt.html>.

Joe