[ntp:questions] Trading jitter for offset

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk
Sat Mar 28 10:05:40 UTC 2009

David Woolley wrote:
> David J Taylor wrote:
>

>> Is there a parameter I can tune from the ntp.conf which would reduce
>> the offset, at the expense of increased jitter?  Perhaps I'm asking
>> for the impossible?
>>

> Reducing minpoll will help, but you are basically observing an aspect
> of why Bill Unruh advocates chrony.  ntpd has poor startup and
> frequency change transient handling.

Thanks, David, I though that might be the case.  The systems are already
running quite a small minpoll, and I'm not sure I want to reduce it
further (to be kinder to the servers involved).

It's a pity that someone has not ported chrony to Windows, as that's the
platform where I need it.  I guess they might need to add some of the
interpolation code as well.  An end-node, client-only port (no ref-clock)
would be fine.

Cheers,
David