[ntp:questions] ntpdate & gpsd

Matthew Lee mjlee at mindless.com
Tue May 12 01:03:55 UTC 2009

Hi,

I would like to force my linux system clock at boot time to match the current time as reported by gpsd.

ntpd works fine using gpsd as a reference clock, so I know the gpsd side is OK.

"ntpdate -b" seems to be the right command to use, according to the man page.  But, how do I specify the server?  ntpdate does not appear to accept a configuration file argument.

Just running "ntpdate -b" tells me "no servers can be used".
Running "ntpdate -b 127.127.80.0" says "no server suitable for synchronization found".

If I add "-d" to the above, it's apparent that ntpdate is sending out transmit(127.127.80.0) probes looking for the server... but there's no one listening on that address.

So, is running ntpdate synchronising off gpsd possible?  How does one do that?

Thanks.

--
Be Yourself @ mail.com!
Choose From 200+ Email Addresses