[ntp:questions] mtp srver load figures?

Fri Nov 20 04:50:30 UTC 2009

Christoph Weber-Fahr wrote:
> I'm preparing to build a few ntp servers for a somewhat
>  large population of NTP-misbehaving boxes (they top out
>  at a 120 sec interval).
>
> So, to size this right - what kind of request load can I
>  safely throw at ntpd on a current Xeon server?
>
> Is 200 requests per second a problem? What do you calculate?

According to the numbers in <http://www.pool.ntp.org/en/join.html>
  Most pool servers get about 5-15 NTP packets per second with
   spikes a couple of times a day of 60-120 packets per second.
  This is roughly equivalent to 10-15Kbit/sec with spikes of
   50-120Kbit/sec

Also <http://www.pool.ntp.org/en/> How much traffic to expect?
 Pool servers can heavily regulate it with the "netspeed"
   setting in the server settings on the manage page.
  As a rule of thumb you’ll get 1/3 query a second "per megabit";
   with peaks of about 1 to 1.5 queries per second per megabit
   at the top of each hour.
* Each packet is only about 50 bytes, so this is very little
   traffic.
  If you set the netspeed to for example 1 mbit (the default)
   you’ll get very little traffic but still help tens of
   thousands of users a day set their time.

  will be added to the BlackLists.