[ntp:questions] Problem with system clock refresh

Todd Glassey tglassey at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 26 17:03:53 UTC 2009

E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists wrote:
> Unruh wrote:
>
>> JuanFran <juanfranciscojara at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi! My system should be accurate to within approximately
>>>  10 milliseconds .

Is there a need to be able to say five years from now, prove that the
time data in the logs you made today was accurate and that the records
are still good because this is a goal which is today tied to the person
operating the systems. That is to say - sure NTP with GPS works great
but the evidence it produces is all based on some human oversight. That
said unless there is something more there to prove the processes worked
properly from a forensic standpoint - then its all about your testimony
anyway...

Does this make sense - I am telling you that the practice of evidentiary
timekeeping is way harder than just operating a NTP service in the now.
>> OK, that should be possible even on Windows.
>>

>>> I think forcing upgrade all computers in my LAN at the
>>> beginning should be enough.
>>>
>> Sorry, again I do not know what "forcing upgrade" means.
>>

> ntpdate before ntpd?

OK but the same could be done by telling NTP to allow as large a
time-shift as it needs to for the initialization event.

Todd