[ntp:questions] Polling time backoff

David Mills mills at udel.edu
Mon Nov 30 16:24:35 UTC 2009

Guys,

The behavior you report is correct. Most of the refclocks have maxpoll
clamped at 64 s. As long as one of them is the system peer, the
discipline loop time constant is clamped to that value. However, if all
refclocks go away, some other server might take over leaving the time
constant at the minimum at least for awhile. If the server was running
at a large poll interval, the loop delay would become very large and
result in an unstable condition. So, if you configure addiitional
servers as refclock backup, they will have to run at 64-s interval as
long as a refclock is reachable..

Dave