[ntp:questions] Unable to get time from the internet using NTP

Jan Ceuleers janspam.ceuleers at skynet.be
Mon Oct 5 15:14:48 UTC 2009

Dew Wrobel wrote:
> I have to setup a couple of servers that will get their time from the
> internet.
[...]
> When I start NTP, the start up hands with ntpdate trying to get the
> time from the servers.  I have verified that the server names do
> verify in DNS.
>
> Do I need to pick a different set of servers?  Any idea/suggestions
> would be greatly appreciatd.

Dew,

A few questions to help figure out what is going on.

What error messages, if any, are emitted? How do you determine that it isn't working?

Can you manually execute ntpdate pool.ntp.org ?

If ntpdate succeeds where ntpd itself fails, the culprit is most likely your firewall configuration. You need to permit both inbound and outbound traffic on UDP port 123.

If you conclude that things aren't working from ntpq -p, have you waited long enough for ntpd to achieve synchronisation? Without iburst on your server lines it can take quite a while for sync to be acquired.

Cheers, Jan