[ntp:questions] If the EMI shoe was on the other foot...

Mr. James W. Laferriere babydr at baby-dragons.com
Sat Oct 10 16:45:26 UTC 2009

 	Hello David ,

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009, David Woolley wrote:
> Michael Deutschmann wrote:
>>
>> Would the experts here then want the government to mandate spread
>> spectrum be ON, and if so, what sort of modulation to use?
>
> The general view in the amateur radio community is that spread spectrum
> computer clocks are a bad thing, because they spread the misery.  EMC
> standards are compromises and significantly exceed natural background
> noise levels, so it is better to knock out a few spot frequencies than
> to possibly wipe out a whole amateur band.
>
> If you really wanted to solve the EMC problem, you would legislate for
> screening that reduced the noise at about 1 metre to well under the
> quiet time natural noise level, would require cases to be tested with
> noisy motherboard, and would have severe penalties for sale and use of
> case customising kits.
 	'Use' ,  The consumer (Me ,  You & All) are susceptible to every
manufacturer's mis-deed's/mis-reported/mis-???? testing .

  	WITH LEGISLATION to that effect you give Government goons (God, I
just love Government goons) the ability to what ,  '?' Confiscate/penalize/ticket/? ?
 	Sorry ,  legislation is NOT (Repeat NOT) the only avenue .

 	Education of the Consumer & Manufacturer is the ONLY sustainable
recourse .

 	Sorry for my tirade (Which it is) ,  But there's too many people taht
just get on the 'Legislation' pulpit and don't think it thru .

 	Twyl ,  JimL