[ntp:questions] Fudge time offset on client/peer?

Rich Wales richw at richw.org
Fri Oct 16 02:30:58 UTC 2009

My home network is connected to the outside world via a cable modem.

I'm running a refclock at home (on a FreeBSD server running ntpd
4.2.5p215), which I want to refer to both at home and elsewhere.
The cable modem system appears to be introducing an offset of about
2 msec (compared to a refclock on my work network, which I have
reason to believe is trustworthy).

I would like to be able to tell ntpd (4.2.5p181) on my work machine
to fudge the offset it gets from my home clock by about 2 msec, in
order to counter the cable modem assymetry.

However, I do *not* want to fudge the offset on the refclock itself,
because I want the hosts on my home network to see the server "as is".
I'm not sure what to do, because as best I can tell, I can specify a
"fudge time1" only in connection with a refclock.

Is there any way to fudge the offset on a "peer" or (non-refclock)
"server" configuration command?  If not, can this be considered as
an enhancement?  Or am I missing some very good reason why this is a
Really Bad Idea that should (and will) never be implemented?

Rich Wales  /  richw at richw.org