[ntp:questions] If the EMI shoe was on the other foot...

Michael Deutschmann michael at talamasca.ocis.net
Sat Oct 17 16:21:18 UTC 2009

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009, David Woolley wrote:
> The general view in the amateur radio community is that spread spectrum
> computer clocks are a bad thing, because they spread the misery.

So we can turn off spread spectrum with no guilt, then.

The reason I was asking is that I'd expect most hackers to be biased in
their assessment of any EMI mitigation proposal with costs.  We don't
use radio much these days, so non-ionizing radiation would have to be
really intense to rattle us.

The real-life clock radio stations are all lower frequency than the FSB
of even the slowest computer with support for SS, so even the stratum 1
folks don't have any interest on the EMC side of this issue.  (They do
care about other EMI sources that fall in their playground, of course.)

---- Michael Deutschmann <michael at talamasca.ocis.net>