[ntp:questions] testing slew only mode (-x), not slewing correctly (linux sles10, ntpd v 4.1.1)

Fri Oct 23 01:32:26 UTC 2009

David Woolley wrote:
> Steve Kostecke wrote:
>> On 2009-10-22, David Woolley wrote:
>>> I believe that the official policy line is that database
>>>  systems that require monotonic time for their
>>>  distributed transaction logic are fundamentally flawed.
>> It is the database people who require monotonic time.
>
> Transaction logic implied databases.
>> If there is an "official policy line" it is that any
>>  system with a clock which drifts past the step threshold
>>  is fundamentally flawed.

I guess I could see 10 minutes (or more) if the time had
 never been set to anything reasonable;  However 10 minutes
 seems really far out for something that was previously
 syncing with NTP servers (or any other source of time).

> Dave Mills on not using NTP for critical database timestamps:
> <http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.protocols.time.ntp/msg/20d802c94f87c274>.

  will be added to the BlackLists.