[ntp:questions] Monitoring FreeBSD temperatures remotely

G8KBV dave at g8kbv.removethis.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 12 18:51:51 UTC 2010

In article <hpuekj$rcm$1 at news.eternal-september.org>, david-
taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid says...

> It surprises me that, with FreeBSD being suggested as a good system
> for servers, there isn't more ready-made SNMP about.
>
> Cheers,
> David

That's 'cos it's a bit of a nightmare to setup and configure for the non
BSD types!  I'm in the middle of doing one now (to the instructions at:
http://blog.doylenet.net/?p=145)

It took a couple of days just to get FreeBSD V8.0 installed correctly in
the first place.  One false move (hair trigger enter key) and it's
"start over" time.  (OK, so there are probably ways to backtrack, but
like many things, it's just not documented.)

It does not appear dificult technicaly, and not that many steps to
complete, but it takes an age for the system to search for, download the
needed source modules, compile and build the needed app's etc.

And as for that editor 'vim'  If you thought Notepad was bad......
Some documentation as to how to use that is sorely needed!  It's about
as counter intuitive as you can get, my opinion at least.  There has to
be an easier to use text file editor that can be used?

I'd dearly love to see a GPSDNTP server "Live CD" out there.  You can
get firewall's routers, web and FTP servers etc, all as Live CD's, but
I've yet to find a NTP server, and I havent the knowledge (yet, if I
ever will) to create one myself.

Cheers.   I'd continue work on my FreeBSD box, I'm at the point of
attempting to enable PPS support in the kernel, but (a) I want to find
out how to make a recovery disk first, in case if it all goes greasy
side up, and (b) Domestic management, she says I have to go visiting
this evening.

Regards to all.

Dave B.