[ntp:questions] General ntp architecture question

Terje Mathisen "terje.mathisen at tmsw.no" at ntp.org
Mon Aug 2 21:15:15 UTC 2010

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> Terje Mathisen wrote:
>> I suggest you do as Rob and David suggest, i.e. get yourself one or
>> more GPS-based Stratum 1 clocks, then define 4-6 primary servers which
>> use this/these GPS clocks plus a few internet servers as backup.
>>
>> All the rest of your servers can then use the same ntp.conf file, with
>> a 'server a.b.c minpoll 4 iburst' line for each of your primary servers.
>>

> The last time I looked, the driver for a GPS clock automagically set
> MINPOLL=4.

Yes, this is for the rest of the servers, i.e. all the client machines:
Since they are more or less local to at least a pair of the S1 servers,
and since I have plenty cpu and network resources available, I start the
secondary/client machines with minpoll4 and iburst, just so I can
minimize the time until first sync.

OK?

Terje

--